I’m a sauce freak. Everything is better with sauce. Barbecue is incredibly easy to make at home. Making your own is a great way to experiment with flavors. This recipe is great without any additions, but you can also use this as a base and add any flavors you like.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together until well combined and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
- Turn heat down to low, and simmer for 1 hour to reduce, stirring frequently.
- Let cool before transferring to an airtight container to store in the fridge.
This will make about 1 and 1/2 cups of barbecue sauce. You can double the recipe as many times as needed. The taste is sweet and tangy. This sauce works beautifully in Barbecue Beef and Cheddar Biscuits. 😉 The sriracha really doesn’t add too much heat, but you can omit it or increase the amount for desired spice.
Experiment with this one if you want, and make it your own. Add some fruit preserves instead of the honey (apricot, cherry, or orange would be awesome). Add your favorite hot sauce or chili sauce to add heat instead of sriracha.
One thought on “Easy Homemade Barbecue Sauce”