This recipe came about when I was craving jalapeño poppers, and I only had sweet peppers on hand. I actually prefer these to the jalapeño version. They are easy and fairly quick to make, and have always been a hit when I’ve served them as an appetizer at parties and get-togethers. Everyone who has tried them has asked me for the recipe, and to me, that is the ultimate compliment. 😊
- 15 sweet mini peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper, if desired
- A few sprinkles of chives, if desired
- Mix together cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, minced onion, chili powder, and crushed red pepper (if using) until well combined.
- Stuff each pepper half with this mixture. You want the mixture to mound a bit on top.
- Place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- For tender peppers, bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
- For more crunchy peppers, broil on high for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Top with chives for color after cooking.
This recipe makes about 30 sweet pepper poppers. I like this brand of peppers, and I found them at Publix.
Watch these closely because the bottoms can burn quickly. Everyone’s oven is different, so I would check the bottoms after 10 minutes. If the bottoms look like they are done but the tops aren’t, just broil them on high for a few minutes to get the tops browned. It’s totally okay for the bottoms to be a bit brown. This adds flavor. You just don’t want them BLACK. Yes, this has happened to me. It was unfortunate, and it made me quite sad. Don’t let this happen to you. 😝
These are very versatile, so you can add or omit ingredients to make it your own. Add meats like shredded chicken, diced pepperoni or ham, chopped crab or shrimp, BACON! Add vegetables like shredded spinach or chopped tomatoes. Just start with the cream cheese base and go from there. Make these low-fat by using reduced fat cheeses. Experiment with it, and most of all, have fun making your own creations.